Tuesday, November 4, 2008

That Hunting Weekend - Part 1

We had a very busy schedule last weekend. There were 2 treasure hunts competition that we went to. First on the 1/11, was the 3K Triple One Hunt (Kembara Karun KSAS) organized by the Trailblazers team. Most of the teams treated this as a warm up to the big event, The Sun Hunt 2008 which was on the next day!

3K Triple One Hunt


We were missing 1 team member, DQ had to work on that Saturday. We were a bit skeptical that we could do well in the hunt, but since we really wanted to have this "warm up", we decided to go ahead nonetheless. We've also decided to use a smaller car, since there is only the 3 of us, with the starting configuration of me driving, my wife navigating from the back seat and Farid at the front passenger seat for easy access and exit. It would soon change, though.

The hunt was organized with 2 categories, the open category and the classic car category, i.e. cars that are registered before 1983. I think there was supposed to be 4 teams, but one of the car broke down and couldn't make it...I also heard that Dato' Ramesh & Kok Seng's team's car also broke down but they managed to find another classic car, which I heard was a Porsche (?). Anyways, I saw only 3 classic cars in the hunt, and they are also eligible for the open category prize as well. No guesses as to who won the classic car category. The hunt itself was tough. I think a lot of the teams "suffered", particularly because we had only 3 hours plus for answering 30 route questions plus 4 treasure questions. We knew that time is going to be a big factor in this and the difficult questions wasn't helping at all. That's the first challenge. The 2nd challenge was making a good start, which we always "kantoi" in most hunts, the 3rd was the treasure questions, which we found out later that we may not have enough time to go out and buy the items. We neither start well, nor did we do well in the rest of the route questions.

All in, we managed to finished the hunts, via some "tembak" answers on my part and Farid. Mid-way thru the hunt we switched drivers, because my wife was feeling dizzy sitting at the back, and we found out that I was better at finding the answers when I'm not driving. D'huh... Due to the time constraint however, I had to rush writing the answers, and I was convinced that I'll do some mistakes in writing it out since I didn't have time to check on what I had written before submitting the answers.

Anyways, when it was the answers session we found out that a few of the "tembak" questions were right! Hahaha...It was really fun throughout the session, and we thought that we had a good chance of winning something. Our count for the total points were 70 plus, and when the Trailblazers team announced the no.10 spot with a score of 50 plus, we knew we were in for something. As the teams were called up to the stage to collect the prizes: 9, 8, 7, 6, 5...4, 3, 2, 1...? Our team name wasn't called up. My wife was confused, as were Farid and myself. When we asked one of the captains for our team's score, he said it was only 40 plus....which confused us even further. So we asked to see our answers sheet, and had to wait till Capt. Jack Swallow finishes the formalities with the audience. By this time, I was convince that it was my fault that we lost 30plus points...I had convinced myself that I must had written the answers wrongly or left out a few answers details even more than I thought I would have.

As the other teams left the hall, and the winners carried their winnings...we waited for our answer sheet. At first glance, I thought everything was as what we marked in our copy, which added to the mystery of how we lost 30 points. That was until I saw the calculation for the answers...The total answers we got right was 21, each correct answers is worth 3 points, and written in the table was the figure 36. As I pointed to Captain Jack and clarified with him that the total should read 63...He let out a gasp and a "Oh my God..." and rushed back to the hall to meet up with the other captains. All 3 of them apologized to us profusely for the mistake, and Captain Jack gave us a cash prize of RM150 - equivalent to the 8th placed prize.

The knowledge that we actually won something in that hunt just gave us a little bit of confidence to do well, or at least improve our results in the big hunt: The Sun Hunt, the next day. We actually met with Captain Jack, and he said that he have already sent out the corrected results to Michael Pang, which can be found here. We appreciated what they've done for us, and hoped that we can join in their next hunt, with a view of winning it and getting on stage that time...!

No comments: